2013 News


02/01/2013, 10:45pm CST By Chris Pall

Hinsdale Central allowed just a pair of free throws in overtime and 6-foot-7 sophomore Matt Rafferty provided the offense as the Red Devils prevailed 50-46 over Metea Valley in a thrilling non conference matchup.

Locked in a defensive battle at Metea Valley Friday night, the outcome between the Mustangs and Hinsdale Central would be decided by which team could get that last stop.  Hinsdale Central allowed just a pair of free throws in overtime and 6-foot-7 sophomore Matt Rafferty provided the offense as the Red Devils prevailed 50-46 in a thrilling non conference matchup.  Sean Davis opened the extra session with two free throws, but Rafferty answered with a conventional three-point play 10 seconds later for a 47-46 edge. The Mustangs were unable to score a field goal or get back to the charity stripe as the Red Devils (14-5) clamped down defensively. Rafferty added a free throw with 32.9 ticks left on the clock after hauling in a huge rebound.  Metea Valley turned the ball over on the next possession and the Red Devils passed out of traps, avoided being fouled and put in a layup with one second remaining to account for the final score. Rafferty finished with a game-high 25 points.  “That was two teams that take pride in playing good defense that were getting after each other,” said Hinsdale Central coach Nick Latorre. “I thought it was a regional championship atmosphere.”  “Our defense has been there all year, and we held a good shooting team down,” said Metea Valley coach Bob Vozza. “Early it kept us in the game. We got some momentum there and I thought we came out in the second half and played how we wanted, but Rafferty had a great game.  “Every time we seemed to get a lead or have some control, he came right at us and got to the line or made some big shots,” Vozza continued. “Credit Hinsdale Central; they executed one more time than we did.”  With nine ties and seven lead changes in regulation, it was fitting that four extra minutes was needed to determine the winner. The Mustangs opened the second half with a 9-0 burst that propelled them to a 27-21 advantage, but the Red Devils responded and gained a 34-32 margin heading into the fourth quarter. Hinsdale stretched to lead to 38-33, but back came the Mustangs scoring seven straight for a 40-38 lead.  Bryson Oliver hit a pair of free throws and Trayvond Taylor, who scored a team-high 19 points, scored on inbounds pass from Marquell Oliver. Bryson Oliver added another make from the 15-foot stripe and Marquell Oliver put the Mustangs ahead with a pretty reverse layup. Rigas Pappas scored on a dish from Chase Hamilton to even the score, and Rafferty putback a miss and sank two from the foul line for a 44-41 lead.  Bryson Oliver made a beautiful layup in the lane with 1:35 to play and Davis sent the game to OT with a free throw with 27.6 seconds left. Rafferty answered the bell again to seal the victory.  “The bench helped out a lot and there was a lot if intensity on the floor,” Rafferty said. “We’re coached never to back down. When you’re down, bounce right back and go at them and finish.”  Rafferty also grabbed 10 rebounds. Taylor collected six steals and Bryson Oliver added four steals and finished with eight points.

BACK to 2013 INDEX


Submit News articles to: Admin